Friday, August 21, 2020

Story 1, Entry 3

Story 1, Entry 3

 

“Porakath onchon, governor”

 

     Tap, tap, tap went my finger on my info pad. I have been to the governor’s office a number of times through the years as my duties required but I never seemed to get as comfortable with it as I was hoping for. There were several others in the waiting area besides me. Some obviously administrators, managers and the like. Two were military and I would say fleet by the uniforms but not currently with commands. I can’t put it in words but officers that were assigned to warships always carried themselves a little different then those that never had.

     The chairs were comfortable enough, the walls covered with quality decorations and copies of old art. The large window gave a fine view of the capital below, busy as always. I had seen it before and many others like it. I just wanted to get on with the reason I was here, to report my updated information after my latest meeting with my counter part Mr. Baldwin. I don’t know if I was requested to report in person because of secrecy or because the governor wanted to make sure he had all his questions answered. Hopefully I would soon find out.  

     “Vorathan Sarra of the Markie lineage?” The assistant stated to the room as he stood to look us all over. I grabbed my info pad, stood up, pulled my dress uniform down tight and responded.

     “That is me, I am here.” I said. I went ahead and started to walk to him assuming it was now my turn.

     “Governor Kathruth Kaul of the Andul lineage has called for you, through that entrance.” He replied, pointing to the large obvious door that I couldn’t imagine anyone getting confused over. I nodded as I walked pass. He gave me a simple smile and nod that he obviously displayed countless times a day with little variation.

     The Governors office was as I remembered it a combination of many task, like the position itself. To one side was an old shelf full of an even older collection of books with written word. Extremely valuable to the right collector I would think. Then, on the other side of the room was a modern conference table equipped with all the modern assortments of holographic imagining and various modes of communication. Two individuals awaited me as I walked inside, I recognized them both, most Koreth in this province would.

     The governor was behind his desk of wood and metal. The other was to the side near the window, he turned to face me, and I recognized him as the highest ranking general in the provincial fleet. His uniform was clean, neat but lacked the attention to small details of age. It matched his face and general appearance. He was a career officer of many battles both in space and in conference rooms. His face offered wisdom, hardness and tradition, all the makings of an ideal Imperial general. His skin remained a dull grey, revealing no emotion, a practiced trait for someone in his position.  

     “Porakath onchon.” The governor said with his attention still focused on a small screen to one side of his desk.”

     “Greetings to you governor.” I responded with my choice of human English. I was hoping the choice would help dismiss any concerns they may have as to my knowledge of everything related to my duties to the Imperium.    

     “Very good ambassador, I see you to have been practicing these humans’ languages. My daughter has been my best teacher, I’m sure you know how the younger generation seems to be so easily embracing everything human, music, fashion, even religion in some circles. Agree or disagree it is the root of all the issues we now see staring back at us or do you see things differently? I can only wonder at the added inefficiency caused by having more than one language. It is my understanding that they have over fifteen popular ones used, and countless other lesser ones, although English seems to be most common in the boarder systems for whatever reason.” The governor asked of me, looking up, directly at me before beginning to move from behind his desk.

      “The humans own many practices that make them…………so interesting to our youth and others? I am starting to work on another common language, Spanish, but I have a distance to go on it.” I replied, attempting to be diplomatic in my response since I was not sure of the governor’s politics and intentions.

     “Well, I can only hope that for my needs, one will be enough.” The governor replied, walking to a back shelf with an assortment of drinks. I could see the age of duty on him, but he seemed to carry it well. Still with a spark of spirit unusual for a politician of his age. Interesting.

     “So, let us forward move with some of the issues before us. I’m sure you know general Tarka Drajja of the Dradoss lineage and can understand the need for his presence here?” The governor continued, pointing to the general with one hand and gesturing if I wanted a drink with the other.

     “Yes, I can. To that, I would like to start out by saying that the humans agreed to all our, your conditions. They were not to happy about the military issue, but they are in agreement and ready to proceed. In fact, my counterpart has informed me they are already making preparations for the first convoy of ships.” I replied with a humble since of accomplishment on my part.

     “Good, there is no justifiable reason they should have an issue with relying on our ships to protect theirs. These humans are just as troubled with a conflict of pride and arrogance as all the rest. They should be grateful we have offered to protect them. Their militaries capabilities are notable behind us, as is always the case. They are a simple species with little knowledge of what they truly need to know. However, you have addressed my main concern. Commerce is one thing but to allow even their obsolete warships into our home systems, chaos and nonsense poured into the same cup, waiting to be spilled all over the place and make a mess.” General Tarka unexpectedly responded. He walked forward shaking his head as his ears moved about and his skin turned slightly red in spots. The timing of his response surprised me but not the response. Every military officer considered not just the humans but all other species to be inferior in the art of war and unable to speak its language with the same mastery as the Imperium.

     “I am glad to hear that general, now would you mind stepping outside for a few moments so I can finish with the ambassador. Afterwards please return so we can finalize a few remaining issues.” The governor asked of the general as he walked closer to me and raised a hand to the door. The general nodded and seemed to return to a more reserved disposition.

     “I should check for any recent communications so yes that will be fine. I will return after a short time governor.” He responded as he turned and left the room. A room I suddenly felt grow smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment